Are you excited to enter the world of crafting but not sure what medium you want to work with? If you’re looking for a medium that’s easy to use and lets your imagination soar, oven-bake polymer clay is the way to go.
With polymer clay like Sculpey, the crafting possibilities are endless. Keep reading to learn about all the reasons crafters love Sculpey, from its versatility to its stress-relieving qualities. Then, enjoy our selection of fun and easy DIY clay projects you can build and bake your home oven. We’ll even give you tips to make sure your Sculpey projects turn out great!
What Is Sculpey Oven-Bake Clay?
Sculpey is a polymer clay you can shape with your hands or crafting tools. To cure or harden Sculpey projects, all you need to do is pop them in the oven and bake them according to package instructions — no professional art studio required.
Polymer clay is non-toxic and composed of synthetic plastic polymers for flexibility, resins as the base and fillers for texture and coloring. Our products are free of latex, wheat, dairy, gluten and sulfur. There are several types of Sculpey, including:
- Original Sculpey: Original Sculpey feels like ceramic clay and is soft and pliable. However, Sculpey polymer clay does not dry out in the air and requires baking. Once baked, you can paint Sculpey, sand it or glue decorative details to your project.
- Sculpey III: Sculpey III is super soft and perfect for beginners. Sculpey III is available in a wide variety of fun, bright colors.
- Premo Sculpey: Premo Sculpey is flexible enough to bend but durable enough to hold details. This type of clay is an excellent choice for techniques like caning and mokume-gane.
- Super Sculpey: The clay of choice for dollmakers, Super Sculpey allows for fine detail and is available in semi-translucent beige to capture the look of real skin.
- Super Sculpey Firm: Sculptors love Super Sculpey Firm for capturing tiny details. This type of clay is available in gray and can be painted after baking.
- Super Sculpey Medium Blend: A mix of Super Sculpey and Super Sculpey Firm, Super Sculpey Medium Blend is clay that’s easy to carve and holds intricate detail.
- Sculpey Souffle: Sculpey Souffle is a lightweight polymer clay perfect for jewelry making and available in many different colors.
- Liquid Sculpey: Squeeze out designs, fill in oven-safe molds and more with this fun liquid bakeable medium.
Once you choose your project, you’ll have a better idea which type of Sculpey polymer clay to use. All Sculpey is fun to play with, but the softer forms might be the preferred choice for beginners. If you are a beginner, you’ll become comfortable with firmer polymer clays in no time!
Why Is Sculpey oven bake clay a Great Medium for Crafters?
Sculpey oven bake clay is the perfect medium for crafters because there is no limit to what you can create. Did you ever dream up an object you wanted to make but didn’t know how? Sculpey lets crafters create anything from their imagination.
Also, polymer clay is easy to work with and does not require years of experience or specialized training to make it something you’ll enjoy. Best of all, creating unique items with Sculpey is relaxing and amusing.
So, why do crafters love Sculpey? Here’s a list of the top reasons why Sculpey is the perfect oven-bake clay for crafting:
- Lets You Create Handmade Gifts: Sculpey lets you create keepsakes and unique gifts like jewelry, ornaments and figurines specially made for loved ones. You can add a personal touch to your gifts that you can’t get in a store. Plus, there’s something magical about a present that was made by hand.
- Serves a Therapeutic Purpose: Did you have a rough week at work or school? Leave your troubles behind and relieve stress with Sculpey. Nothing beats the tension-relieving motion of playing with clay, and Sculpey helps you pass the time in a busily blissful way.
- Allows You to Create Something One-of-a-Kind: You get to bring your unique ideas to life with Sculpey clay, whether you want a bangle bracelet to match your summer dress or a character-themed jewelry box for a child’s bedroom. No one else in the world will have the unique craft you made.
- Provides a Fun Way to Spend Time With Friends and Family: Gather up your loved ones, grab a bar of Sculpey and spend the evening laughing, chatting and crafting with clay.
- Has No Limit to What You Can Make: You can create anything your heart dreams of with polymer clay, and you can easily combine Sculpey with other mediums like paper, metal, stones, gems, glitter — you name it!
- Is Easy to Use: Sculpey is easier to use than one might think. It’s a wonderful medium for beginning crafters and is sure to spark a love for this art form. Sculpey is also perfect for experienced crafters who wish to take polymer clay to challenging and exciting levels with elaborate ideas.
Need some inspiration? We have plenty of DIY Sculpey project ideas to help you get your creative juices flowing.
Tips for Using Oven-Bake Sculpey Clay
Before we jump into Sculpey crafting ideas, here are a few tips to help make your project a success:
- Prepare Your Work Surface: Always make sure you craft with Sculpey over a protected surface, as unbaked polymer clay can stick and stain furniture. A Sculpey Work n’ Bake Clay Mat, marble, glass, ceramic tile, metal, aluminum foil or parchment paper all make excellent work surfaces.
- Condition the Clay: Before crafting with polymer clay, you’ll want to condition it to make it more flexible. Roll and knead the clay with your hands or pass it through a pasta machine or a clay conditioning machine. A clay conditioning machine is an excellent tool for creating flat sheets of clay, too. Use cutters to cut out shapes or imprint the layers with stamps.
- Prepare the Baking Surface: Bake your projects on a baking surface made of glass, metal or the Sculpey Work n’ Bake Clay Mat. If you’re using metal cookie sheets to bake projects, line them with aluminum foil or parchment paper first to protect your future cookies from Sculpey bits.
- Use an Oven Thermometer: Using an oven thermometer is the best way to make sure you’re baking your crafts at the right temperature, as ovens are not always accurate. You can also test your oven’s temperature by baking a small clay disk that’s about 1/2-inch in diameter and 1/4-inch thick. Bake the disk according to the package instructions, then check the colors. If the disk has any dark areas, then your oven is too hot. Lower the temperature by 10 degrees and try again.
- Follow the Baking Instructions: You can bake polymer clay in an oven or a toaster oven, but do not use a microwave. Before baking your project, preheat your oven to the temperature on the package and use a separate thermometer to make sure temperatures are accurate. Follow the instructions on the box, so you know how long to bake your project. For example, you would bake Original Sculpey at 275°F for 15 minutes per 1/4-inch thickness. Sculpey does not give off toxic fumes, so it’s entirely safe to bake it in the same oven you cook your food in. It’s imperative to bake your crafts properly to make sure they last.
- Paint the Clay After Baking: One of the great things about Sculpey is that you can paint it, too. We recommend using water-based acrylic paints and always painting projects after baking rather than before. You can help protect your creations with Sculpey Glaze in gloss or satin finishes — never use nail polish to add color or gloss to polymer clay.
- Store Your Clay Properly: Although polymer clay will not dry out in the air, you still want to store it properly to keep it fresh for a long as possible. You can store clay in food storage bags or containers made out of polypropylene (PP) plastic. Look for the recycling symbol #5 on the bottom of the container. Store clay in cool, dry areas away from direct sunlight, such as in the freezer or refrigerator.
- Keep Baby Wipes Handy: Use baby wipes to clean your hands and tools when working with Sculpey. When crafting is over, wash up with soap and water. You can also use hand sanitizer to remove clay from your hands before washing them. Remember, always start projects with clean hands.
In our opinion, the most important tip is to have fun! Experiment, play and enjoy the versatility of polymer clay — and don’t be afraid to go where your imagination leads you.
Top Three Crafts You Can Create With Sculpey Oven-Bake Clay
Here are our top three crafting ideas to help you get inspired and excited about your next project. From colorful jewelry beads to custom picture frames, there’s no limit to what you can make with Sculpey!
Sculpey polymer clay is a wonderful medium for creating keepsakes you can cherish for years or give as a gift to someone you love. Use Sculpey to make imprints of tiny feet or paws and turn the imprint into an ornament, magnet or wall hanging.
- Preheat oven to 275°F
- Knead clay for about 2 minutes
- Roll clay inside of the ring with the roller until smooth
- Carefully push clay up from the bottom until it is released from the ring — you now have the clay circle for your imprint
- Wash and dry child’s hand or pet’s paw
- Firmly press the hand or paw into the center of the clay circle, leaving room on the side to add the child’s or pet’s name
- Make two holes at the top using the pointed end of the detail tool for the ribbon
- Add the name or date with the detail tool
- Place the ornament on a baking surface
- Bake for 30 minutes at 275°F
- Remove from the oven and allow the ornament to cool
- Once cooled, add ribbon for hanging
You can add the name and other decorative details with a permanent marker or acrylic paint after baking, along with glitter or gems in your child’s or pet’s birthstone color for some extra sparkle.
Crafters love polymer clay for jewelry making because with Sculpey, you can create beads, bangles, earrings, charms, necklaces, pendants and more. For example, you can make beads that look like marble, metal or stone and add other materials like crystals or wire to create and shape your dream jewelry.
We’re going to share a jewelry project that’s perfect for the beginner and pizza-lover alike. Here’s how to make yummy Sculpey III Pizza Earrings. To get started, you’ll need:
- Sculpey III clay in the following colors — Gold, Lemonade, Yellow, Red Hot Red, String Bean and Chocolate
- Sculpey Clay Tool Starter Set
- Two 1-inch eye pins
- Two ear wires
Here’s what you’ll do:
- Make pizza crust with the Gold clay by flattening two triangles with your fingers and leaving a thick ridge at the top of each to form the crust
- Add very thin layers of Red Hot Red for the sauce by pinching the clay with your fingers
- Next, add small layers of Lemonade for the cheese, using a few thin splotches of Yellow for more cheese and carefully smearing the Yellow into the Lemonade
- Create very thin pepperoni slices with Red Hot Red clay and add them to the pizza slices
- Add small slivers of green peppers with String Bean green clay and tiny pieces of sausage with Chocolate clay
- Use the blunt point tool to add texture
- Trim each slice with the knife tool so you can see the layers and it looks like the pizza had been sliced with a pizza cutter
- Push the eye pins into each slice of pizza and pinch the clay around them to secure them in place
- Bake the clay following package instructions
- When earrings are cool, open the loop on the ear wire with pliers, insert the eye pin loop and close the ear wire
Enjoy your tasty and fashionable Sculpey III pizza earrings!
3. Unique DIY Home Décor
Would you like a whimsical green vase decorated with dragonflies in your living room? Or are you looking for custom drawer pulls you can’t seem to find anywhere? It might be tough to find the décor you envision in your local department store, but Sculpey lets you create the items you wish to have. One of our favorite home décor items is the cheerful Hello Beautiful window cling made from liquid Sculpey. There’s no better way to start the day than with this lovely reminder! Here’s what you’ll need:
- Sculpey Liquid Bakeable Clay in Silver
- Sculpey 5-in-1 tool
- Smooth glass large enough for the words you create
- Printed saying in font and size of choice — a thicker font is best
Here’s what you’ll do:
- Place the written words under a piece of smooth glass
- Squeeze excess air out of the bottle
- Outline each letter inside and outside with a thin line of liquid Sculpey
- Neatly fill in the thick parts of the letters with more liquid
- Trace and fill in all the letters
- Bake the words at 275°F for 15 minutes or as directed on the glass sheet
- Allow the letters to cool
- Carefully peel the letters from the glass with your fingernail or spatula
- Use the knife blade in the 5-in-1 tool to trim off excess areas
- Stick the words to a mirror, window or any glass surface — they should stay in place as long as the glass and the backs of the letters are clean
Have fun experimenting with different sayings, and start each day with positivity — Sculpey-style!
Other Top Craft Ideas
Here are a few more ideas to inspire your next craft project with polymer clay:
- Handmade Gifts: Looking for the perfect gift to give a friend for a birthday present? Do they happen to be obsessed with anything cat-related? You can make a unique gift for your cat-loving friend with Sculpey, such as a cat trinket dish or adorable cat figurines.
- Holiday Decorations: Polymer clay is perfect for making unique festive holiday decorations, from Christmas tree ornaments to a spooky Halloween shadow box.
- Toys for Kids: If you know a little one who’s crazy about dinosaurs, dolls or trains, Sculpey is a fun way for them to build their own toys, bedroom decorations, jewelry or stationery items. Also, Sculpey gives kids a chance to use their imaginations and have fun with their friends.
- Clay Embellishments: Sculpey is a great medium to mix with other mediums. You can use it to create embellishments for party favors, cards, invitations, boxes, scrapbooks, nametags, hats, sneakers, headbands and just about anything else you can think of.
Buy Our Clay Online
Are you ready to roll out some clay, relieve some stress and have some fun with Sculpey? We have everything you need to get started, whether you’re a beginner looking to learn or a seasoned crafter in need of supplies. From polymer clay supplies to DIY ideas, we can’t wait to be your go-to source for all your clay project needs and inspiration.
For more than 50 years, Polyform Products Company has brought Sculpey products from our home to yours, and we get just as excited about Sculpey as our customers do. We believe in the power of creativity and can’t wait to share our ideas and products with you. Browse our online store, or become part of our Sculpey community today!